What's New in Planbook 3.0
Planbook 3.0 is a major update that brings many new features, lots of bug fixes and unifies the user experience to match that of many other Mac apps. Planbook 3.0 data files are fully compatible with those created in 2.x so the same file can be edited using the previous or current versions of the program. As always, please be sure to have a backup system in place in case something goes wrong with your computer.
Below is a list of the new features and major bug fixes found in Planbook:
System Requirements for Planbook 3.0
Planbook 3.0 requires:
- An Intel Mac (not a PowerPC)
- OS X 10.5+
If you are using a PowerPC or running Mac OS 10.4, the last compatible version of Planbook can be found at: http://www.hellmansoft.com/files/planbook264000.zip
New Features in 3.0
Main View Features
- There's a new preference to give lessons amounts of space in the Week/Day view proportional to their length.
- Left side sidebar revamped, courses expand to show units in the outline view. Looks much more "Mac" like.
- The inspector has been removed, replaced by the new right side sidebar view that's accessible by clicking the gear icon in every day/week view lesson.
- The lesson views in the day and week view now show the entirety of entered information and can be scrolled.
- Assignments can now be managed from the Full Screen Editing Mode.
- You can now remove a course from a day (from the "gear" sidebar).
- You can now quickly add a section of a course on a single day (from the gear sidebar).
- You can now (on rotating schedules) add a class to every day of the week outside of your rotation. So, if you're on an A/B schedule but have Homeroom every single wednesday, regardless of rotation day, you can do that.
- You can now add a course to a subset of the duration of the planbook file.
- Lessons in the library are now universal to all files on that computer.
- You can now drag a lesson from one open planbook file into another open planbook file.
- You can now copy and paste lessons from one Planbook file to another open Planbook file.
Lion Only Features
- There's a full screen mode for Lion users.
- The Lion version automatically reopens all your files that were open when you last closed the application.
- Lessons may be dragged from the day or week view onto the units in the sidebar to assign that lesson to a unit.
- The Units manager now lists the standards used in a unit.
- Units may now be exported and imported.
- Exporting a unit is done via the Tools-->Unit Manager menu item.
- Importing a unit is done via the File-->Import Lessons menu item.
- All the reports can now be instantly emailed from Planbook (using the new "Send as Email" button). This only works if you use Apple Mail as your email client.
- All the reports can now be instantly saved as a PDF from Planbook (using the new "Save as PDF" button).
- Some formatting improvements, mostly to the non-weekly reports.
- You can now select (from the Tools-->iCal Manager) which calendar each course should sync to. This includes networked calendars.
- Assignments (and their files/links) are published via Local, FTP or MobileMe publishing.
- Standards are no longer applied to a lesson by dragging from one table to another. Just check a box and its applied.
- Custom days can now be named (when created)
- Custom days can now be reused as needed saving the need to re-enter the custom schedules you've created.
- Importing and exporting can now be done for a range of dates within a course (rather than only the entire course).
- Time entry is now greatly simplified- no more 24 hr time. Planbook interprets any 1-4 digit time and determines AM or PM automatically (and intelligently, hopefully).
- The Scrolling list of lessons at the top of the screen in full screen editing mode has better formatting.
- The search results table is now hidden until you search
- Custom days are now created non-destructively (that is, if you convert a day to a custom one and you've already got lesson information in a lesson that will remain in the custom day, it's preserved).
- The file extension for attachments now shows in the table view.
Bug Fixes in 3.0
- Importing and exporting now includes assignments
- The eSellerate Engine is updated and will hopefully behave better.
- Fixed issues when adding courses to rotating schedules.
- Many, Many more.
Fixes and Features of Planbook 3.0.1 (30100)
- Fixed Day Numbers not showing in the header buttons.
- Fixed Preference for Proportional Lesson Lengths.
- Fixed display of checkboxes in the left sidebar.
- The size of the sidebars (left and right) is remembered so you can have them take as much (or little) space as you'd like.
- Fixed issue where, after entering lesson text, only part of the lesson view refreshed.
- Added ability to remove library lessons.
- Fixed issue where courses couldn't be changed in the lesson reports.
- Sync information window doesn't reflect the correct corner of the screen.
- Fixed incorrect dates on monthly calendars when published.
- Improved report formatting (minimal).
- Hide print/email buttons on OS X 10.5 (These features require 10.6+).
- Fixed issue with end times not being changed as directed.
- Improved display for Lion users who have chosen changed from the default behavior and have Lion :#always:# display scroll bars.
Fixes and Features of Planbook 3.0.2 (30200)
- Fixed (again) reports not updating as courses are changed.
- Greatly speeds up text input in the day and week views.
- Custom days adopt names and times when reusing an old custom day.
Fixes and Features of Planbook 3.0.3 (303000)
- Library lessons can now have their titles changed
- Library can now be searched (only by title)
- Improved formatting of the weekly report when not showing the course times
- Fixed issues with the tag report
- Added preference to enable scrolling on OS 10.5, 10.6. I don't like how this looks aesthetically, but it's a useful feature. Scrolling is off by default.
- fixed time entry issues
- Fixed issue where reports couldn't be emailed or printed on some computers.
- Shrank the minimum size of the app to allow a smaller window
- Decreased the font size of the Title and Course name in the Day/Week view to allow more lesson information to be displayed.
- Prevented a problem where leaving a lesson field title blank could prevent saving.
Fixes in 3.0.3
- Fixed odd display issues when bumping lessons.
- Fixed inability to open the "Assign Course Times" menu item.
Fixed in 3.0.3
- Fixed issues opening Standards Report
- Window now remembers sidebar and notes view sizes
- Planbook opens, by default, to the standard lesson fields.
Fixed in 3.0.5 (305000)
- Improved assigning of lessons to units and the unit report.
- Fixed issue where courses weren't refreshed in the reports when changing.
- Issue where notes might not been permanently removed when deleting them has been fixed.
- Improves display of times in the lesson views.
- Fixed issue on Snow Leopard where the course name sidebar might not expand.